A successful career as a DJ in the entertainment industry requires one to master sound perfectly and understand the technical workings of music. Having a good ear for sounds will go a long way towards a career like this. Bassnectar, with the success it has achieved so far, can rightly be said to possess these qualities. He is now one of the most recognized DJs in the music industry. We explore his life and career so far, as well as some interesting facts about the American DJ.
Bass nectar – Biography,
DJ Bassnectar was born Lorin Ashton on February 16, 1978. He was born in Santa Cruz, California and spent most of his childhood in the San Francisco Bay Area. Not much is known about his parents or if he has any siblings. The same applies to his high school, but it was during his teenage years that he began to have an affinity for music.
It has been reported that his interest in music was piqued after an uncle gave him Latin and African music to listen to. At the age of 16, he was part of a metal band called Pale Existence. His performances with the band exposed him to a diverse collection of musicians and their musical genres; the musicians proved to be very welcoming of the young Lorin.
While in the band, Lorin started buying records and trained on how to Disc Jockey with those records. His fame began to grow and his talent spread. From the mid-90s, he was called DJ Lorin.
When it was time for him to graduate, LorinAshton decided that earning a degree in electronic music would be a wise move in his musical endeavors. Thus, in 1996, he went to the University of California where he majored in community studies and studied electronic music.
The biggest boost to Bassnectar’s career as an up-and-coming DJ was playing at the annual Burning Man concert, which takes place in the Black Rock Desert. During the 2000 concert, he sometimes played 7 turntables a night, which increased his fan base and his music was noticed by important people in the music industry. Perry Farrell, lead singer of Jane’s Addiction, is best known for launching the Lollapalooza music festival. Perry Farrell employed Lorin to work on the album, Spearhead and just like that, all the years Bassnectar had honed as a musician began to pay off.
Lorin Ashton has since created over five albums, eight EPs and worked with other artists on their music. He had a career that can boast of huge success.
Bassnectar’s net worth is currently estimated to be $26 million. He got that from his album sales, but mostly from the ticket sales of his many concerts. If he were to keep up with his current pace, the big brands would come looking for endorsement deals that would significantly boost his earnings.
American DJ Facts
• Bassnectar’s community studies major came from his desire as an educator, but he realized that performing and creating music in addition to being a DJ was his true calling. He described DJing as “sharing a song with someone else”.
• Bassnectar decided to take on his current stadium name after meeting a DJ who gave him a sticker. The sticker read “Butterfly beings drink sea bass nectar.” This prompted him to call himself the name he currently uses, which is rather fitting as he makes soft music.
• The DJ has a huge following on social media, where most of his fans, who call themselves bassheads, gather to follow his shows and watch videos of his performances. His fans have been described as cultish, they not only listen to him for his music, but are eager to hear what he thinks about life.
• In 2013, Bassnectar participated in the 2013 version of the best American DJ. However, he didn’t come first and failed to qualify for the top three as he took fourth position.
• Lorin Ashton has decided to take a break from touring and attending festivals. This decision was made after the Deja Voom festival he hosted in 2019.