The sensational music group Chvrches have three origins in Glasgow, Scotland. The trio rose to prominence in the UK with the release of their debut EP Recover EP in March 2013, just two years after forming. The group cemented their status with the release of their debut album, The Bones of What You Believe in September 2013. This debut album contained their official debut single, “The Mother We Share”, which charted favorably in the UK and beyond. Following their hits of the year, Chvrches were ranked 5th in the BBC’s annual ‘Sound of 2013’ music poll and have remained consistent ever since. Their second album, Every Open Eye, was released in 2015 and three years later their third album, L’amour est mort .has been freed.
Biography of Chvrches
This Scottish music band was originally formed as a studio project in September 2011. The band consists of Iain Cook, Martin Doherty and Lauren Mayberry. Cook and Doherty had met several years earlier in college and played together in a rock band called Aereogramme. Mayberry joined the two much later in September 2011.
The trio began writing and recording their own songs in a basement studio and when they finally decided to start playing as a group, Mayberry was chosen to be the lead vocalist and lead singer due to her exceptional singing abilities. Doherty performs backing vocals and sometimes leads while Cook mainly performs backing vocals.
Iain Andrew Cook was born in November 1974 in Glasgow, Scotland. He is a composer, producer and singer of music. Beyond his duties as a member of Chvrches, he also composes songs for film and television. As a young adult, Cook performed under the pseudonym Johnny Dymes for a music group called The Tinglies. He co-founded the rock band Aereogramme in 1998 and they released up to 4 studio albums before breaking up in 2007. He was also a member of another rock band – The Unwinding Hours between 2008 and 2012.
Martin Clifford Doherty was born in December 1982. Multi-instrumentalist, he plays keyboard, sampler and guitar. He toured with rock band The Twilight Sad in the 90s and later became the lead singer of another rock band – Julia Thirteen (1999-2006). He met Iain Cook while studying at the University of Strathclyde and joined his band – Aereogramme.
Lauren Eve Mayberry was born in October 1987. She is a singer-songwriter and lead singer of Chvrches. She also plays drums and keyboards. Before delving into music, Mayberry completed an undergraduate law degree at the University of Strathclyde, followed by a master’s degree in journalism. She worked briefly as a freelance journalist before joining Iain Cook and Martin Doherty to form the band Chvrches at the end of 2011.
1. Chvrches recorded up to 9 singles in the first months of their collaboration. They released the first of these singles, “Lies,” in May 2012 on a blog. The single received positive reception as it received regular airplay on SoundCloud and BBC Radio 1.
2. The band had their first live gig at the Glasgow School of Art in July 2012 which caught the attention of several record labels.
3. They released their first official single “The Mother We Share” in November 2012, followed by another single “Recover” in February 2013. “Recover” was part of the group’s debut EP. Recover EP which was released in March 2013 while “The Mother We Share” became the lead single from their debut album The Bones of What You Believe which was released in September 2013.
4. The band began touring in 2013 with a series of international performances. They eventually returned to the studios in early 2015 to begin work on their second studio album. The album Every Open Eye was released in September 2015 and it charted on the charts of the biggest musical charts in their country of origin, Scotland, and also in the United States.
5. For their third studio album, Chvrches collaborated with producers such as Greg Kurstin and Steve Mac, a first in their music. The album Love is Dead was met with positive reviews after it was released in May 2018 and similar to their previous album, it topped the Billboard Top Alternative Albums and Billboard Top Rock Albums charts. The album also peaked at No. 11 on the Billboard 200.