Sofi Tucker is a New York-based musical duo famous for excelling in electronic dance music (EDM) and house music, a type of electronic dance music created by club DJs. The group rose to popularity after their song titled Best Friend became a hit after it was featured by Apple in a recorded commercial for the unveiling of the iPhone X. Another major project that put the pair in the spotlight is their song, Drinkee, which made it to the 2017 Grammy nomination list. Sofi Tucker was launched in 2014 and since then the duo have continued to record a high level of success for their songs and performances.
Sofi Tucker’s bio
As mentioned earlier, Sofi Tucker broke into the music industry in 2014. The group may be relatively new to showbiz but their influence on the younger generation, especially dance music stars, is easily noticeable. The phenomenal duo recorded numerous singles as lead artists between 2016 and 2018, some of which include Drinkee (2016) Hi Lion (2016) Awoo (2016) , Matadora (2016) , Affaire Deja Vu (2016) , Johny ( 2017) , Greed (2016) , They Fuck (2016) , Best Friend (2017, with Nervo, The Knocks and Alisa Ueno) Energia(2017) , Baby I’m a Queen (2018 ), Batshit, That’s It (I’m Crazy) (2018). In addition to this, Tucker offers a self-published extended piece titled: Sweet Animals, which was released on July 8, 2016.
The club music groups have also teamed up with prominent DJs in the industry, including DJ Benny Benassi, who worked with them in 2018 for the production of the film. Everyone needs a kiss. The group is associated with the music label HeavyRoc and Ultra Music, the musical entity of Patrick Moxey based in New York. In a nutshell, the group’s success can be attributed to several top commercial plays, viral tracks and a Grammy Award nomination.
Who are the members?
The Sofi Tucker Music Group is made up of just two super talented people; Sophie Hawley-Weld and Tucker Halpern. Sophie is a German singer born May 17, 1992 and grew up in Atlanta before moving to New York to play music. Shortly after arriving in New York, Hawley-Weld found herself in a wheelchair for four months and was brought home, where she met the other pair in the group. Hawley-Weld graduated in Portuguese and Development Studies from Brown University. Before joining Tucker, she played bossa nova in a jazz trio.
Tucker Halpern began his journey to stardom as a basketball player. He spent 12 years criss-crossing the country with an amateur basketball team after attending Ivy League Brown University. His passion for music was sparked by a computer music program, music explainer videos he found on YouTube, and then meeting college classmate Sophie Hawley-Weld.
Although Tucker played drums as a child, he wouldn’t have given music a chance if not for an autoimmune disease that ended his basketball career after spending a terrifying eight months in bed. He studied art history and architecture at Brown University and lived in the family home in Brookline, Mass before getting into music. Despite his failed basket career, Halpern still keeps tabs on his beloved Golden State Warriors and Boston Celtics basketball teams.
Sophie and Tucker met in college in the United States, when the former was playing acoustic bossa nova jazz at an event he was DJing at. After meeting one-on-one, they became friends and decided to form a band. They had their professional breakthrough after they were discovered by Apple staff David Taylor who was impressed with their first song. Drinkee when he was on Soundcloud and later bought for a 2015 Apple Watch commercial.
Everything you need to know about the musical duo
1. Before fame, Sophie was in football. Her role model is Charmaine Hooper, a soccer player she eventually met and had a practice session at.
2. According to Sophie, she was disappointed with the band’s first performance, but their second gig was so amazing that she fell in love with the music again.
3. The lyrics of the single of the group Energia of Hawley-Lewis, friend of the Brazilian poet Chacal. Jackal also wrote the lyrics for the group’s hit song, Drinkee
4. Sofi Tucker’s debut single, Drinkee was nominated for Best Song Song at the 2017 Grammys, but ended up losing out to American DJ and producer duo Chainsmokers of Andrew Taggart and Alex Pall.
5. The group has collaborated with Apple twice, largely thanks to their hit songs. Best Friend ( featured at the iPhone X unveiling) and Drinkee ( in a 2015 Apple Watch commercial).
6. The song by the duo Johny was adapted from a poem by Paulo Leminski, a Brazilian poet. He is also featured in EA Sports’ FIFA 17.
7. You can contact or find out more about the pair via www.sofitukker.com.